Thursday, November 02, 2017

2 November 1977

Orlando's Birth

"Wake up! Wake up!" I heard Denise yell.
Her words in my brain would not jell
Into anything I could understand.
“It’s time. They are coming faster.
These painful contractions
Are unpleasant distractions
Keeping my excitement at bay.”
And then I hopped out of bed.
The words finally singing in my head.
Our baby is ready to arrive!
“Please hurry and get the van!”
I grabbed her bag of things and ran
Outside into the late night winter air
That scratched my face and bit my ear.
Brrr. My ungloved fingers froze
And snot oozed out my nose
As I touched the green van’s door
Knowing what was in store
When we drove in the dark
To the Bernalillo County Medical Center.
I held Denise's warm hand
When they put her on the gurney,
Here private ship
For the birthing journey.
Little did I know then
That my body was broken.
While her body contracted
My head plummeted
Into oblivion.
She shook my head and yelled,
"Wake up! Wake up! I need your help!"
I stroked her back and gave her ice
I wanted to do everything to be nice.
But I cried inside
When I saw her cringe
With each and every contraction.
“Follow me,” the nursed had said,
As she took me to a little room
Barely big enough for a broom
Where I donned green sterile clothes.
Denise squeezed my hand
With her grip so tight
Holding on to her wits with all her might
While shielding her eyes from the pain and the light.
And THEN I saw his wrinkled crown.
I got the camera ready.
Hoping my hands I could keep steady.
She pulled my arm
Very hard.
“I need YOUR help!
Put that away.”
Then came the baby’s face
Bloody and creamy
He looked beautiful
And a little creepy.
They put him on Denise’s tummy
And then they gave our baby boy to me.
My heart yelled out, WOWIE!


No comments: