Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Paint Drop Smile


I drag my paint brush across the wall.
It pulls my head sideways spilling out
Bloody, gooey, self-loathing thoughts:

Wrong color, wrong tint,
Errant brush hair on the wall.
You screwed up, you bastard!

I dip my brush into a pool of celedonic buff,
The color of desert sand just before
The Lord of the Dawn begins painting the clouds
Orange, yellow, pink, and purple.

I drag my bristled brush, dripping with doubt
Across the wall, adjacent to the first stroke.
A drop of paint sneaks off and decorates
My big toenail with a smile.

I sweep my brush back and forth,
Swaying with the trees, and singing with the birds.
A few are chirping jokes about pooping on people
who walk underneath.

I dip my feathered wand and write,
I love you,
Above the wet paint on the wall.

My lover pats my butt
And whispers in my ear,
“I love you too.”
Would you like a beer?”

She leaves me alone with my wall,
My brushes, and my note
That I know is meant for me, too.

It's a mystery to me how
A toenail smile, and just writing,
I love you, on the wall
Brightens my heart.
And now I feel like Salvador Dali.

I dip my brush into the pail
Whose color is desert sand that glistens with
Love just before the Lord of the Dawn
Paints the clouds in oranges, yellows, pinks and purples.

I paint a happy smile
On the wall.
It paints a joyful one
On me.

No comments: