Sunday, May 24, 2020

Clam Smiles With Ruffled Lips


What am I doing in this crowd,
So noisy, so loud?
People, cars, buildings,
and trash cans all crunching into me.

Is this what we are, what I am:
A massive conglomeration of stuff
Running, crawling , spewing our garlic breath
onto everything?

No! or is it? I trudge to the beach.
Sit on the sand.
Boom! Cush. Slosh.
A clam surfs on the wave and glides to my feet.
She shimmers in the morning sunlight.

She smiles to me with her ruffled lips
I pick her up and feel her heart
Beating, tapping a message into my palm,
I am you and you are me and the sea.
Do you feel it?”

Sun flashes his blinding orange wink.
Sea waves with her white gloved hands
Inviting me to dance.
I carry the clam and we dive into the wave.

I evaporate into the sea.
Clam grows bigger and bigger
Until she becomes me or we.

Promise me,” I hear my own voice say.
Refill your pitcher with the gems you don't see.
Say it out loud for you and for me,
I am a blessing. Go on say it.”

I am a blessing
I hear clam harmonizing along with my lips
I vow to listen to my heart,
To my bones,
To the flow of my blood.

I swim to the surface.
I hear the perpetual whizzing of my lungs,
Reminding me to pull kindness
Out of every breath
And blend it into every word I say
To anyone, especially myself, every day.

I am a blessing, I say as
I walk onto the beach,
Crowded with smiling, laughing, sun tanning people,
Escaping the cars, buildings, and crunching of trashcans.


No comments: