Thursday, May 14, 2020

Fingernails


I stare at Kita, my canine pal.
As she wags her tail watching me
Clip my toenails and fingernails.
She licks her paw and places it on my foot
Impatiently waiting to go for a run.

In a minute, I say, and then ask her,
Why do my fingernails keep growing?
When will they learn to be strong enough?
Heaven and hell both know I give them exercise.

I scratch my itches,
I peel the tape loose from the spool
that has recaptured it.
I peel the skin off the orange colored oranges.
And my nails still break.

I scratch a tiny clump of dirt
Off the side of my shoe.
I scrape a dot of stubborn paint off the mirror.

Certainly all these scratchings,
And peelings, and scrapings,
All should make my fingernails
as strong as metal knives.

But No.
They crack and break down to the quick
sometimes
And that hurts.

What am I suppose to do with the
fingernail clippings when I slice off the ends
to make my nails even,
To make the ends of my fingers nail free enough
to allow me to play the guitar or violin.

Kita places her other paw
On my foot
And slowly shakes her head.

Ok, I really don't play the violin.
But if I did,
I'd have to cut my fingernails
Again and again.
Which I do, anyway.

Yes, I do play the guitar and sing to my dog.
Kita stands and runs to the door.
I can't run on my front paws and back paws
I'm not a coyote, a wolf, or a dog
Who wears down their nails when they run.

Kita wags her tail telling me
To take my fingernails outside,
Feed them to the plants.
And let's go run.

Kita is right,
of course.
Long fingernails
won't help me run.


No comments: