Thursday, January 04, 2018

Poetry Is Such a Tease

Dear Poetry,
Why do you leave me, mid verse,
Forcing me to go in reverse
To hunt for another lover?
And then you go undercover.
You leave me all alone
Hunting under every stone,
While you cavort
With word players of any sort.
Sometimes I wanna cry
And punch you in the eye
For abandoning me.
And yet, I always welcome you back.
Because without you I always feel a lack.

Poetry is such a tease.
She is with me one moment
And then she flees.
She wraps her arms around me 
And nibbles on my ear
And then she walks away
Just as I'm getting into gear
On my next line. 
She is nowhere I can find.
And when she finally comes back, 
Her breath reeks of whiskey, 
Which she knows I do not like. 
She is incoherent and laughs.
"Remember what you did on the ship?" she asks. 
"Your fingers would hit the wrong key on the typewriter 
And then you would call me and inquire, 
'What word starts with that letter?'
We had such fun then." 
She loses her balance and falls on me. 
"Give me a kiss and I'll whisper sweet poetry 
Into your ear," she says. 
I know she's lying. 
She can't even stand up.

No comments: