Friday, June 14, 2019

No Fish today on the PCT 14 June 2019

Anthony and John walked right into the Crystal Lake hatchery. "Do you suppose that you can grab us some dinner while I distract the hatchery worker, who's standing over there?" Anthony asked. 
"These tanks are kind of deep, Anthony. I don't know if I can reach without falling in."
Anthony walked over and stood by John, staring at the fish in the tank. "I'm getting mighty hungry just looking at those fish," he said. "Come on, John, use your hat to catch one while I distract the worker."
"Use your own hat. I don't want my head smelling like fish."
While they stood and stared, two members of the hatchery crew came out and told them all about the hatchery. The workers walked out of the hatchery grounds with John and Anthony, telling them how glad were that they stopped by to visit. They waved goodbye as John and Anthony walked away empty handed. 

They stopped at the Burney Mountain Guest ranch to punch a few cows and grab some freshly cooked meat. But when they got there, no cows were around to be punched. There were no cowboys, no longhorn steers. They walked around the back and when Anthony saw the swimming pool he jumped in. One of the staff members told him to get out because the swimming was for paying guests only. Anthony asked the staff member to turn around while he got out because he'd gone skinny dipping.John  and Anthony are sleeping in the woods about 500 feet in from the road. They fired up their tiny camp stoves, and put on the metal water containers. "I sure wish you hadn't waited so long before trying to grab a fish." Anthony said as he opened his freeze dried dinner and poured it into the hot water. "I am so disappointed in you. My admiration for you  just dropped a few points. Now I have to pretend that we're having fresh trout as I slurp this freeze dried slop."
So far the boys have backpacked 85 miles from just east of Chester.


1 comment:

Stephen Appert said...

Good thing you mic’d them up to give us this firsthand glimpse into life on the PCT. The cousins have a nice camaraderie!