Friday, June 14, 2019

Anthony and John Backpacking the PCT 13 June 2019


Greetings Folks
As my younger brother, John and my cousin,  Anthony were having a nice, leisurely, relatively flat trek along a thousand-foot-high ridge, they came upon a big, deep gap called Lost Creek. 
Anthony looked at John and then he looked down at the bottom of Lost Creek. "If I pushed you and you rolled all the way to the bottom without breaking your neck, could you climb up the other side before I hiked all the way around?" Anthony asked with a demented leery smile.
John's shoulder's dropped. "It must be time to eat," John said. "Your imagination is moving to the "dark side" like it seems to Whenever you're hungry."

As they passed the hangliding launch site below, John said, "Damn, I wish the trail went down there and we could hanglide down to it. That would be cool!"
"That's the lazy way, John." Anthony said. John's eyebrows jumped up. "The lazy way? Ha, that's funny, I remember when my dad was working on some math problem, to pay a bill or something. He was having a hard go of it.
I took a look at what he was doing and I showed him a quick little formula. Did he thank me? No! He said, "That's just like you, John. Always the lazy way." John burst out laughing.
They are spending the night near the edge of a cliff after backpacking for 19 miles. They hiked for 13 hours. I wonder how the conversation went when Anthony got tired and wanted to stop for the night. John pointed up ahead. "Come on Anthony, there's still plenty of daylight to see the trail. We're never going to make it Canada if we don't add the miles."
"My feet are killing me," Anthony said. "We've already gone up over a thousand feet and gone down over 1400 feet. And those buzzards flying above us the last hour are giving me the willies."
"Do you know what those buzzards are saying?" John asked. "I'll tell ya. They're up there looking down at us hoping and praying for a meal. 
"Yummy. Lookie down there at them humans' says the buzzard with the crooked foot. 'They be walking mighty slow, like they was gonna die,' 
The cockeyed buzzard says, 'I hope at least one of 'em gets so tired he falls off that there cliff, rolls down and gets nice and tenderized on them rocks. I'm starving. Ain't you starving, too? I sure hope one of 'em hurries and falls before it gets dark. I like to see what I'm eatin.'
Ol' Crooked Foot pecks at Cockeyed's wrinkled face and says, 'You don't need to see whatch yer eatin. When thems dead, them smell real good. You don't need yor cockeyed eyeballs to eat anyway.
Anthony tilted his head. "Have you been reading Mushroom's last manuscript? Your starting to sound like Dirty Dog Dietrich."

No comments: