Wednesday, July 24, 2019

South Brown Shelter

Anthony looked at his GPS and said, "It looks like we should be near the shelter. According to this note, it is a log cabin."
"We've already hiked 22 miles and my feet are killing me," John said. "I hope we won't have to set up our tents."
"We won't have to worry about pumas or bears preying on us at night," Anthony said.
"But what if the bears know that campers leave food here?" John asked. "What if they wait for us in the morning and when they don't find food, they chase after us?"
"I don't see that as a problem, John. I can outrun you when the bears chase us," Anthony said and laughed.
 There was still plenty of light when the boys arrived at the shelter. "That door isn't going to keep a bear out," Anthony said.
"Neither are our tents," John said. "At least this has a solid roof in case it rains."
"A fireplace and firewood!" Anthony yelled when he looked inside.
"Yeah! and a place off the floor to put out sleeping bags," John said.
Anthony pulled out his knife and scrapped some kindling to start a fire in the wood-burning stove. "This reminds me of when we were little and we lived in Duranes, in Albuquerque."
"How is that possible? You were only about 3 or 4 when you moved from there." John said.
"I know," Anthonys said. "But I do remember putting wood in the stove when I was little."
The boys boiled water and pulled out their packets of dried food. They set up their sleeping bags on the wide shelves along the walls. While they waited for their food to re-hydrate in the packets, they stepped outside. "Hey! we can eat on a real table tonight," John said.
When their food was re-hydrated and ready to eat they sat at the table. "Boy a nice cold Sapporo would taste real good right now," John said.





No comments: