Monday, September 09, 2024

Don't Tell

The very first time we met was in my Uncle Tony's little convenience store in Bernalillo when I was 7 and you were 5. I had walked into the store, hoping that Uncle Tony would give me some free penny candy. His brother, my Uncle Ray, winked at me and gave me about five pieces of hard candy from a small wooden barrel.You came in there with a lady who I assumed was your mom. You asked her to buy you some candy. She gave you a look that even scared me. Your lips quivered as were about to cry when you saw me. I fiddled with the candy in my hand. A tear slid down your cheek. When your mom was getting the money out of her purse to pay for what she bought, I walked and stood next to you. I followed Uncle Ray's example and I winked at you as I put one of my candies in your hand and whispered, "Don't tell."

No comments: