Sunday, May 24, 2020

Clam Smiles With Ruffled Lips


What am I doing in this crowd,
So noisy, so loud?
People, cars, buildings,
and trash cans all crunching into me.

Is this what we are, what I am:
A massive conglomeration of stuff
Running, crawling , spewing our garlic breath
onto everything?

No! or is it? I trudge to the beach.
Sit on the sand.
Boom! Cush. Slosh.
A clam surfs on the wave and glides to my feet.
She shimmers in the morning sunlight.

She smiles to me with her ruffled lips
I pick her up and feel her heart
Beating, tapping a message into my palm,
“I am you and you are me and the sea.
Do you feel it?”

Sun flashes his blinding orange wink.
Sea waves with her white gloved hands
Inviting me to dance.
I carry the clam and we dive into the wave.

I evaporate into the sea.
Clam grows bigger and bigger
Until she becomes me or we.

“Promise me,” I hear my own voice say.
“Refill your pitcher with the gems you don't see.
Say it out loud for you and for me,
I am a blessing. Go on say it.”

I am a blessing
I hear clam harmonizing along with my lips
I vow to listen to my heart,
To my bones,
To the flow of my blood.

I swim to the surface.
I hear the perpetual whizzing of my lungs,
Reminding me to pull kindness
Out of every breath
And blend it into every word I say
To anyone, especially myself, every day.

I am a blessing, I say as
I walk onto the beach,
Crowded with smiling, laughing, sun tanning people,
Escaping the cars, buildings, and crunching of trashcans.


No comments: